If there’s one message that you take away from the Stalking Victims’ Sanctuary website or Linden’s book Surviving a Stalker, it’s that arming yourself with information is your best defense. Only by knowing and evaluating all your options can you make an educated decision about the actions you want to take.
To help you identify where you might find the information and help you’re looking for, we’ve listed books, videos and state organizations that could prove helpful. In the meantime, here’s our shortlist of go-to resources:
Help & Information for Stalking Victims:
- Surviving a Stalker: Stay Safe. Get Help. Reclaim Your Life. by Linden Gross
Safe Horizon stalking victims’ hotline (assessment & referrals provided) – 866-689-4357
National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224 for the hearing impaired
- Stalking Resource Center – A program of the National Center for Victims of Crime
- Stalking Behavior website – Information & resources
- LAPD Threat Management Unit: 213-893-8339
- The National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA): 1-800-879-6682
- A Guide to Domestic Violence Risk Assessment, Risk Reduction and Safety Plan
- The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse – Recommendations related to harassment & stalking
- Electronic Privacy Center
- Domestic Violence Resource Directory
Cyberstalking & Internet Safety
- iSafetyNet — Provides a listing of community resources and services on the Web
- Who@ - A volunteer organization working to halt online abuse
- Cyber Angels — Terrific advice for young Internet users and their parents, a Cyber 911 help-line and a volunteer CyberMoms group that monitors Internet chat-rooms, online services and popular websites, and helps kids improve their online judgment.
- GetNetWise — Kid-related online safety
- i-SAFE – E-safety education solutions
- 360 Total Security — Internet Safety and Security for Kids
The resource lists in this entire section–including those on the reading list, programs and state organizations subpages–are not intended to be comprehensive, but rather a place for you to start. Indeed, if you find stalking-related resources that prove helpful, please forward them along to us so we can share them with the other in the Stalking Victims’ Sanctuary.