Court Success in Boston

<<

cleo

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:04 am

Court Success in Boston

Hello everyone! It's been a while. Just wanted everyone to know how I've fared. To refresh your memories, I was being revenge stalked by an ex-roommate who has an extensive criminal record and is living here illegally (he's Czech). I got Immigration to arrest him a second time, but again, they could only hold him for four months. Upon his release, my court case proceeded and my case against his restraining order violation went to trial.

The last time in court, the ADA assigned to my case had just received my file that morning. Now this is the third violation to get to court and a three-year ordeal. I'd had four different ADAs by that time. Luckily on the day in question, my stalker was still in Immigration custody and not there that day. Still, his defense attorney had months to put together their case and had even hired a pro-bono Private Investigator. Here, I had a guy looking at the file for the first time minutes before seeing a judge. After that day, I tried contacting the ADA and never heard back from him. So I contacted his supervisor, explaining that I didn't want to be a nudge, but , at the end of the day, I had to be pro-active about my case.

Well! It's the best thing I ever did! I got a seasoned, trial-experienced ADA who kicked butt in the court room.

At first I didn't understand why the public defendant went to such great lengths as hiring a PI and calling witnesses for someone with an extensive criminal record. I soon learned that he had never gone to trial and wanted to win his first trial and knew that his defendant would refuse any settlement.

My new ADA turned the PI and witness testimonies into Swiss cheese. And here's a tip for everyone and their future trial cases: my ADA called the policeman in charge of measuring distances of drug busts to nearby schools. She had him measure the distance between my office and where the violation took place. He used a special calibrated wheel that he brought into the courtroom and showed the jury.

My stalker was found guilty and sentenced to two years, one in jail and one on probation. They put the handcuffs on him right away. I can't tell you how well I'm sleeping now. I put away all the hidden knives in my bedroom. I have the luxury of daydreaming on my way home from work.

Lessons learned, don't be passive in the court system. The defendants have all the rights, everything going for them. Work with the DA's office and keep in contact with them.

Most of all, I'm proud that I saw it all the way through, no matter how scary it was. I have to tell you, it was hard sitting in the court room while the defense attorney called me a liar, several times to the jury in his closing arguments. If you don't have your integrity, what do you have?

I wish all my friends on this site similar success. I'm praying for you![/b]
<<

paranoid

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:03 pm

Cleo, thanks very much, and congratulations! Will he be deported, as a convicted felon? Call homeland security. It's an ellection year.
Virginal Cindy the upright and stalwart
<<

cleo

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:57 pm

Hi Cindy. I've worked with Immigration and they've arrested him twice in the past. They can only legally hold him for a few months. They want to deport him, but they can't without travel papers from Czechoslovakia. They say they're making progress and are hopeful this time. But honestly, if they can't get travel papers for a criminal alien (ie permission from the home country to send someone back), the criminal alien gets to stay here. Crazy, huh? And believe me, this guy has a record the size of a phone book.
<<

paranoid

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:09 pm

What about writing your congressmen, especially the ones up for re-election? This seems just stupid - they can hold innocent aliens for no reason, and you can't get rid of this loser?
<<

bam

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:33 am

Congratulations cleo!!! You should most definitely be proud. :)
<<

cleo

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:02 pm

Cindy: If he bothers me after his release, I will definitely contact my Congressmen and the press. I think a lot of people would be stunned to know that criminal aliens are being allowed to live here with deportation or reprecussions.

Bam: Thank you and everyone else who posts to this site. Even when I wasn't actively posting, just reading everyone's stories reminded me that I'm not alone and helped me beyond words.
<<

paranoid

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:42 pm

Maybe Bubba will fix the issue for you. May Bubba fix the issue for you. Yay Bubba!
<<

~evilanne

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:54 am

Congratulations cleo!!! Great input!!!

I hope Bubba will get a piece of him :lol:

Make sure you fill out whatever paper is necessary for them to contact you before he does get out. Stay Safe!!
Happy Trails :)
evilanne

Return to Success Stories - Archive