Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:30 am

Information and Referral

The best resource for information about stalking is the Stalking Resource Center/National Center for Victims of Crime.

The best resource for referral if you need assistance is the Stalking Resource Center/National Center for Victims of Crime.

They have been providing information and referral since 2000.

Stalking Resource Center also provides an online directory for information and referral from local agencies and organizations. ... -directory

Congress allocates funds each year under VOCA and VAWA and these funds are administered by the states.

The focus of the VOCA funding is victim compensation but individual agencies and organizations receive part of the funding, primarily organizations that deal with domestic abuse/violence. The state administrative agency in turn can make referrals to local agencies.

There are a multitude of national and state and local agencies and organizations that deal with stalking within the framework of domestic abuse/violence but their focus is not stalking. The focus of the Stalking Resource Center is stalking. That is why they are the best resource.

Many stalking victims are victims of domestic abuse/violence who encounter a problem with stalking once they end the relationship. While stalking is not a form of domestic abuse/violence, it is part of the dynamic of domestic abuse/violence in a growing number of cases.

If you need immediate assistance in a situation contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline which operates 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233)

Many stalking victims do not know whether to file a complaint with law enforcement - the best resource for assistance is law enforcement itself. Most law enforcement agencies now have a least one officer, if not an actual division, trained in dealing with domestic abuse/violence and that will include dealing with stalking.

Call and ask if they have an officer or division that deals with domestic abuse/violence. Even if you do not file a complaint, you will have spoken with someone you can call back if the situation changes or escalates.

Most of us do not know what to do or who to call in the beginning. That was why The National Center for Victims of Crime established the Stalking Resource Center in 2000. To help us. The stalking victims.

If you are not in the United States and cannot locate any resources for information and referral, you can contact Caritas, which is the international Catholic social services organization, or the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

If you are an American citizen living overseas, you can contact The Americans Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center at 866-USWOMEN (866-879-6636) using AT&T Direct Access.